So winter officially starts tomorrow, my least favorite season of the year. But this year I'm determined to enjoy it. I have my new UGG's which I plan to spend as much time in as possible, and it's so nice to curl up with a glass of red wine and watch DVD's or read knowing that it's cold outside and you don't want to be out there anyway.
I know salads are mostly reserved for summer, but I saw this beauty on Camille Styles blog this week and thought it looked so amazing that I really want to give it a whirl this weekend. This version has no meat in it which may cause GK's toes to curl (maybe add some chicken??)
- 2 red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, quartered
- 2 yellow bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, quartered
- 2 zucchini, trimmed, cut on the diagonal into 1/2″ thick pieces
- 4 slices crusty white italian bread
- olive oil, salt & pepper
- 1 english cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
- 1/3 cup mint leaves, chopped
- 1/3 cup basil leaves, chiffonade
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup aged balsamic vinegar
- 4 oz piece of feta, broken into chunks (I’d love to try this with fresh mozzarella next time!)
- Heat grill to medium. Brush peppers, zucchini, and bread on both sides with oil. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Grill peppers and zucchini until slightly charred and just tender, turning often, about 6 minutes. Add bread for the last 3 minutes of cooking, and grill until lightly charred and just crisp, turning often. Transfer to a cutting board and let cool.
- Meanwhile, combine cucumber, tomatoes, olives, mint and basil in a large bowl. Chop peppers, zucchini into 1/2″ pieces and add to bowl. Tear bread into 1″ pieces and add to bowl.
- Whisk oil and vinegar together, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add dressing to salad, toss to gently coat, and add feta.